Below is a list of hardware used for all the bag patterns in Pattern Parcel #7. I usually buy hardware in bulk from shops on Etsy (here, here, and here) and buy last minute single pieces from Joann's. Veronica at SewVery has a great post on upcycling bag hardware, too!
(4) 1" rectangle loops (optional)
Midtown Messenger Bag:
(1) 14” metal non separating zipper
(2) 1.5" wide rectangular metal rings
(1) 1.5" wide metal slider buckle
(2) 1” wide metal tuck catches
Butterfly Sling Purse:
(1) "Almost Square" shaped turn lock (1-1/2" x 1"), or
(1) Heart shaped turn lock (1-3/16" x 1-1/8")
(2) Flat rectangular rings - 1" (25 mm) wide
(1) Flat rectangular adjustable slider - 1" (25 mm) wide
(2) Slim magnetic snaps - 9/16" (14 mm)
Full hardware kit here.
(4) Bag feet
(1) 18mm (6/8”) Magnetic snap closure
(5) oval (or rectangle) rings 30mm (1 ¼”) across (inside measurement) and no more than 20mm (13/16”) deep (inside measurement)
(16) 6mm (¼”) rivets (optional)
Barcelona Bag and Wallet:
(1) 3/8" snap for wallet
(1) 1-1/2" Slider and rectangular ring
And then there are interfacings. Interfacings give handbags their structure. They hold you up when you're feeling down. Shopping for interfacings can be overwhelming to a novice bag maker. The different names and numbers can leave your head spinning, but have no fear! Alicia of Swoon Bag Patterns has a helpful blog post about the different types of interfacings, and what to use them for. Pellon also has this downloadable PDF guide on the Top Ten Handbag Interfacings. It's a handy tool to take shopping with you.
Pellon has graciously offered to give away a collection containing the four basics you'll need for bag making: 1 pkg Shape Flex SF101, 1 pkg Fusible Fleece 987F, 1 pkg Peltex Ultra Firm Stabilizer 70, and 1 pkg Craft-Fuse 808!
To enter to win, simply leave a comment below (click the black talk bubble) and tell us what is your favorite indie pattern to sew. For an extra entry pin the contest image above to Pinterest or share this contest link with your stitchy friends online, then leave us a second comment saying you did so.
Don't forget, Parcel #7 ends this Friday at midnight EST, so don't miss out on the chance to choose your own price for this collection of digital handbag patterns from indie designers. It's our goal to raise $20,000 for the charity, Donors Choose, and we're so close! With you're help, we can meet our goal.